Janathon 2011

Janathon 2011
Tales of woe from a participant

Thursday 30 December 2010

T -2 (what to do)

OK - getting a little nervous now!

Here is the first conundurum - should I start on a treadmill or road-run?

I haven't run in anger for a few years now so want to make sure I don't have such a bad ordeal that I abandon Janathon (or worse get injured).

Here are my pro's and con's of both options and I would welcome feedback from fellow bloggers.

Treadmill pro's:

The gym is warm
I can control my pace better
I can watch sport on TV whilst running (great motivation)

Treadmill con's:

I know its not the same as 'real' running
My gym plays awful music
Since a weird loss in confidence I seem to struggle running on a treadmill

Road running pro's:

I am out and about in the real world
It's the real mcoy
Southsea has a lovely seaside promenade to run on

Road running con's:

It's cold and dark when I shall be running
Danger of ice (unlikely in the Southsea tropical micro-climate!)
Measuring distance travelled is less accurate

Adding to all of the above, I have just handed in my one-months notice to cancel my gym membership and I guess I should make the most of it for January and hit the roads in February when they are my ONLY option.

Comments?

1 comment:

  1. Measuring the distancce travelled isn't that hard. Take a look at http://www.realbuzz.com/mapyourpassion/. It has a Google Map-ish interface to let you mark out your runs pretty accuratly.

    ReplyDelete